Chinese New Years (also known as Spring Festival) marks the transitions between lunar years under the traditional Chinese calendar. It’s one of the largest holidays in the world (in terms of participation) with people across the Asian content and beyond celebrating in one way or another. Themes of family, fortune and health coincide with Spring Festival in a way that brings people together. On the surface people associate Chinese New Years with red envelopes of money and dumplings, but it actually has a rich story of triumph at its core.
The Spring Festival is rooted in Chinese folklore and centers around the tale of a wise man fighting off a mythical beast referred to as the Nian. Nian was ravaging and terrorizing a group of villagers, making them hide fearfully in a nearby cave.
A mysterious wise man appeared seeking revenge against the great monster for its aggressions so he returned to the village to fight Nian off. Armed only with red papers and firecrackers, the wise man ventured back into the village, never to be seen again. When the villagers returned they found no signs of battle, and they realized Nian was gone - scared off by the color red and firecrackers! Nian was later captured by legendary Taoist monk, Hongjun Laozu. Ever since the people of the region have commemorated the tale by wearing the color red and lighting fireworks.
With a better understanding of the holiday you can see why we chose to cover our CNY collection of sneaker bags in premium red coated polyester fabric.
Shrine Sneaker Daypack 2019 CNY Edition
Drops this Friday 2/8
Shrine Sneaker Grailz Bag 2019 CNY Edition
Drops this Friday 2/8
To commemorate The Year Of The Pig we’re counting down our 5 favorite CNY themed kicks! Checkout the list below and be sure to peep our CNY collection and cop a drippy bag of your own!
5. The Nike KD IV for Kevin Durant is a fan favorite among the sneaker community and his Year Of The Dragon edition from 2012 was definitely a standout. Cool hues of blue were accompanied by dragon accents and hints of mango orange. A dope wavy pattern across the forefoot strap, sockliner, ankle, and tongue add a great layer of depth too. How many people out there were born in The Year Of The Dragon?
4. The 2014 Nike SB Dunk High Chinese New Year draws inspiration from the holiday’s official color of red (they also perfectly match our CNY edition sneaker bags). Red suede covers the entire upper with a red swoosh and gold highlights. Finishing off the look is a translucent outsole with gold speckles and a golden medallion dubre.
Adidas UltraBoost via HypeBeast
3. One of Adidas’s hottest UltraBOOSTs to ever release were the 2016 CNY editions. With enough color to stretch the Silk Road, this iteration pulled out all the stops to deliver a one-of-a-kind look. Black caging and white BOOST help breakup some of the shoe’s Primeknit loudness for an overall premium vibe. You could easily stash a few pairs of these in our CNY edition Grails bags.
Air Jordan 12 via SneakerBarDetriot.com
2. The Air Jordan 12 Retro Year Of The Pig is the newest release on our list and it lands at number 2. A black satin upper drapes across a majority of the upper and if torn a Chinese Zodiac inspired multi-colored pattern will be revealed. This effect is totally optional allowing for multiple customization capabilities. Our CNY sneaker daypack will easily fit these without you working about the shoe’s high cut collar getting bent too!
Nike Foamposite via HypeBEAST
1. Nike’s Air Foamposite is one of the brand’s most recognizable designs of all time. Its foam shell lends itself perfectly to a variety of themes, and the CNY edition is no different. A vibrant design faithful to the holiday covers most of the shoe with fireworks and metallic floral prints acting as eye catching focal points. Like the CNY UltraBOOST the Air Foamposite uses a lot black to mellow out the multiple colors already at play. A red swoosh rounds out this unforgettable Chinese New Years shoe.
September 09, 2020
nike free og villain rojo air jordan full cap nike flex run 2015 femminile womens burgundy vapormax retro brazil football shirt for cheap nike hyperdunk 2014 noir jaune